IP Megapixel cameras

Image quality, Resolution, Light sensitivity, Signal/noise ratio, etc.
Necom

IP Megapixel cameras

Post by Necom »

I want to add 2 to 5 megapixel cameras from IQeye BUT when i try to add those model i am running in the horiz. & vert. limits in VideoCAD 1648 X 1648 and thats not enough when i want to have 2 to 5 Mpixel .. what do i do !!

Necom

Support

Re: IP Megapixel cameras

Post by Support »

Thank you for your question.

Maximal image resolution in 3D modeling is limited by screen resolution in Windows. It is Open GL limit.
Increase screen resolution in Windows setting to model hight resolution images.

In Windows XP:
Right-click on the desktop and then left click on Properties from the menu that appears.
The display properties dialog box will appear, click on the settings tab at the top right of the box.
To change your resolution simply slide the Screen Resolution bar along to the resolution of your choice and then click the Apply button.

Necom

Post by Necom »

Thanks for the anwser but it didn't really helped me ... sorry..

Would i be possible for you to make an example of adding a 5 Mpix IP Camera in VideoCAD ?

I have tried to attached the Specs for an IQeye IQ755 5Mpixel Box camera..notice that there is NO Lens specification cause its ONLY the box camera.. There is a lot of different lenses to choose from so i have
attached some lens performance sheet... BUT PDF/ZIP/RAR files dosent work with upload so i have here instead the URL to the information:

http://www.iqeye.com/iqeye/images/uploa ... E_Spec.doc

http://www.iqeye.com/index.php/lens-specifications.html

For me it seems that a lot of the information that is needed in VideoCad Camera specification is regarding Analog types..an example is the TVL box.. a IP megapixel camera does not have TVL specs an so on !!!
I lot of the information that needs to be typed in is not listed on IP Megapixel camera spec from various vendors !!

Is the something that i dont understand or ? i would be very happy if u could help :)

Kind regards

Necom

Support

Post by Support »

Thank you for your questions.
Necom wrote:Thanks for the anwser but it didn't really helped me ... sorry..
Sorry for misunderstanding. In the combo boxes on the Number of pixels panel maximum number of pixel is 1648. But it is not limit, you can enter any value from keyboard.

Here is some information about camera parameters and modeling.
Let's divide camera modeling in 3 levels according to your need, knowledge and available information.

Level 1. Simplest basic level. Modeling view area only. In manufacturer specification there are all necessary information.
On the first level you should specify:

a) Image sensor format=1/2inch

b) Lens focal length - specify according to lens model. In case of varifocal lens you can specify min and max focal lengths. Then you can change focal length in the specified limits.
Necom wrote:there is NO Lens specification cause its ONLY the box camera.. There is a lot of different lenses to choose from so i have
In this case don't specify lens parameters. Lens parameters can be specified separately for each camera of this model.
Or create several camera models with different 'Model Name' and different lenses.

c) Aspect ratio - specify according to camera setting, as your camera has adjustable aspect ratio. For more accuracy you should specify directly size of active area of image sensor, but camera manufacturer doesn't give the data in specification.

In many projects the first level is sufficient. You can model view area projections and 3D image from camera in different positions. Camera resolution and sensitivity is not taken into account on the first level. VideoCAD Lite offers only the first level of modeling.

Next levels of modeling require more information and better understanding.
These levels can be needed for particular cameras in project.

Level 2. Modeling image quality. Specified image resolution allows to model Person detection, identification, License plate reading areas.
On the second level you should specify in addition:

a) Number of pixel on the image sensor

b) Camera resolution (TVL) (optional).
Necom wrote:For me it seems that a lot of the information that is needed in VideoCad Camera specification is regarding Analog types..
There are no big differences between analog and IP cameras in modeling in VideoCAD. All cameras have the same parameters: View angles, Aspect Ratio, number of pixel, resolution, light sensitivity...etc.
Necom wrote:an example is the TVL box.. a IP megapixel camera does not have TVL specs an so on !!!
Though TVL is not gived in megapixel camera specification, the parameter is important for megapixel cameras too. TVL resolution depends on lens resolution and image processing. Bad lens resolution can corrupt a lot of megapixels.
In case of using megapixel lenses specify Camera resolution=0.7*Horizontal number of pixels or don't specify camera resolution.
See: Help system>Examples of work with VideoCAD>Example 12 Measuring camera resolution

c) You can also specify image processing parameters on the Processing tab on the Image parameters panel. There is this possibility as image quality depends not only camera parameters. For example Compression level has big influence on the image quality. Image processing parameters apply for each camera in the project, not for camera models.

See "Help system>Examples of work with VideoCAD>Example 6 Determining person identification criteria by a real image" for understanding image quality modeling.
See also the article The principles of CCTV design in VideoCAD. Part 2. Person detection area, person identification area, license plate reading area"(*.pdf, 1112kB)

Level 3. Modeling light sensitivity.
Necom wrote:I lot of the information that needs to be typed in is not listed on IP Megapixel camera spec from various vendors !!
As a rule manufacturers don't give correct sensitivity parameters to use them in modeling.
VideoCAD offers tools for modeling but it can't obligate camera manufacturers to give all necessary parameters. You can get some parameters by your own tests. VideoCAD offers a technique for measuring camera sensitivity.
See "Help system>Examples of work with VideoCAD>Example 10 Measuring camera sensitivity
Please see the article for details how to model sensitivity and illumination.
"The principles of CCTV design in VideoCAD. Part 4. Illumination and camera sensitivity in CCTV"(*.pdf, 1950kB)

CCTVguru

Post by CCTVguru »

I am amazed at how few vendors provide the info required and the fact people still believe pixel count is everything.

I can produce a CIF image that has a higher TVL than some of the Mega Pixel cameras around.
Likewise MPEG4 and H.264 etc quality's and bandwidth vary dramatically between manufacturers.

I know it is not in the scope of this software to correct for this but what a head ache it is to do a comparison based on a spec

Support

Post by Support »

VideoCAD offers tool for modeling resolution in addition to number of pixels.
Also you can model compression level.

You are right, it is impossible to do a comparison based on a specification only. It is necessary to compare real images.
Please see Help system>Examples of work with VideoCAD>Example 6 Determining person identification criteria by a real image

Support

Post by Support »

VideoCAD 7 can model megapixel images with the PiP (picture in picture) technology.

It can also model distortions of moving objects arising from exposure time, interlace scan and rolling shutter. This is useful for IP camera simulation.

ImageImageImage

In the Help system there are new techniques of measuring real exposure time and rolling shutter row time of IP camera for proper simulation.

http://www.cctvcad.com/videocad_help/in ... posure.htm
http://www.cctvcad.com/videocad_help/in ... hutter.htm

Support

Post by Support »

VideoCAD9 can generate camera images in their real resolution up to tens of megapixels.

It is possible also to include these images in PDF report. To see the Real camera resolution, zoom-in images in Acrobat Reader. Especial interesting are Camera 3 and Camera 4.

report with images from cameras in real resolution up to 33 megapixels (92 megabytes);

Please see What is new in VideoCAD